2020/21 flu season
FLU IMMUNISATION CLINICS 2020/21
This year delivering the flu immunisation programme will be more challenging because of the COVID-19 pandemic. We have therefore changed the format of our flu clinics to take into account social distancing to protect patients and staff from COVID-19. Please support your Surgery by ensuring you attend your booked appointment on time and follow any guidance that will be in place on the day.
Booking your flu jab
Flu vaccination will be on an appointment only basis. We will be inviting groups in order of priority and availability of vaccines. Please bear with us.
Ring Reception today on 01273 606214 to book your 2020/21 flu vaccine.
*Please note children aged 2 and 3, ie born between 1/9/2016 and 31/8/2018 will be vaccinated at The Avenue Surgery and all primary school aged children and children in Year 7 (1st year of secondary school) will be vaccinated by the school immunisation service.
At Risk Group Categories 2020 21:
- aged 65 of over (ie born on or before 31 March 1956)
- patients on the NHS Shielded Patient List for COVID-19 or have a long term condition such as:
- a heart problem
- a chest complaint or breathing difficulties, including bronchitis, emphysema or severe asthma
- a kidney disease
- lowered immunity due to disease or treatment (such as steroid medication or cancer treatment)
- liver disease
- had a stroke or a transient ischaemic attack (TIA)
- a neurological condition, eg multiple sclerosis (MS), cerebral palsy or learning disability
- a problem with your spleen, eg sickle cell disease, or you have had your spleen removed
- are seriously overweight (BMI of 40 and above)
You should also have a flu jab if you are:
- living in a residential or nursing home
- the main carer of an older or disabled person
- a household contact of someone on the NHS Shielded Patient List
- a household contact of an immunocompromised person
- a frontline health or social care worker providing domiciliary care.
Expansion of the flu vaccination programme to include 50 – 64 year olds
The Department of Health and Social Care has announced that from 1 December 2020, all 50 – 64 year olds will be eligible for a free flu vaccination under the NHS. Our flu vaccine for the 50-64 year olds has now been delivered. If you are aged between 50 and 64 ie born between 1 April 1956 and 31 March 1971, please ring The Avenue Surgery to book an appointment or contact a pharmacy who may have vaccine available.
If you do not wish to have a flu jab this year, please let Reception know so they can record this on your electronic record.
What to expect when you arrive
We will be holding the flu clinic outside in the surgery car park. Please follow directions from staff and signage on arrival.
Please do not arrive before your scheduled appointment as we have limited space in the car park in order to facilitate 2 metre social distancing.
There will be no seating.
You must wear suitable clothing so that the upper arm can be easily exposed.
Please wear a face covering.
If it is not appropriate for you to have your vaccination outside eg mobility issues, privacy or cultural reasons, please let the Surgery know on booking as these will be booked into our limited clinic slots.
If you want to know more about the 2020/21 Flu Vaccination Programme you download the leaflet here.