The GDPR is a Europe-wide law that replaces an earlier 1995 EU Directive. GDPR allows individual countries some flexibility and the UK’s Data Protection Act 1998 and 2003 (DPA) will be repealed and replaced by the DPA 2018 although this has not yet been finalised.
The GDPR sets out the requirements for how organisations will need to handle personal data from 25 May 2018.
It is part of a wider package of new data protection legislation and aims to protect EU citizens from privacy and data breaches in our increasingly data driven world.
The GDPR sets out the key principles in relation to the processing of personal data for patients:
- Data must be processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner
- It must be collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes
- It must be limited to what is necessary for the purposes for which it is processed – adequate and relevant
- Information must be accurate and where necessary kept up to date
- It can only be retained for as long as is necessary for the reasons it was processed.
- Data must be processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data.
The GDPR provides stronger rights for patients regarding the information that the Practice holds about them. These include:
- Being informed about how their data is used
- Patients to have access to their own data
- Patients can ask to have incorrect information changed
- Restrict how their data is used
- Move their patient data from one health organisation to another
- The right to object to their patient information being processed (in certain circumstances)
The Information Commissioners Office website provides more detail about this new EU Directive.
The Avenue Surgery Privacy Notices
The Avenue Surgery Privacy Notice for Direct Care
The Avenue Surgery Privacy Notice Care Quality Commission
The Avenue Surgery Privacy Notice Emergencies
The Avenue Surgery Privacy Notice for National Screening Programs
The Avenue Surgery Privacy Notice for Payments
The Avenue Surgery Privacy Notice for Summary Care Record
The Avenue Surgery Privacy Notice NHS Digital
The Avenue Surgery Privacy Notice Public Health
The Avenue Surgery Privacy Notice Research
The Avenue Surgery Privacy Notice Risk Stratification
The Avenue Surgery Privacy Notice Safeguarding